As one of the most adventurous, breathtaking experiences of our Bali retreats, climbing Mount Batur before sunrise is a must-do activity. Not only will you get a great workout, but you’ll also witness the stunning beauty of the sunrise over Bali’s active volcano. It’s an essential activity for any genuine Bali fitness retreat.
Packing for a Mt Batur Hike
When preparing for your climb up Mount Batur, it’s essential to pack appropriately to ensure your comfort and safety during the ascent. Here’s a guide on what to pack for your Bali retreat’s sunrise hike up Mount Batur.
- Comfortable Clothing 👖👕 Wear comfortable, breathable clothing suitable for outdoor activities. A t-shirt or tank top, shorts or leggings, and a light jacket or sweater are recommended. The surface varies from gravel to rocks to volcanic sand, so hiking in a pair of trainers is fine. During the hike you’ll warm up enough to just be wearing a tshirt, but it can get pretty cold at the top watching the sunrise amongst the clouds, so having a warm sweater for the top is suggested.
- Water and Snacks 🥛🍏 Having a bottle of water is also suggested, from bottom to top to bottom the hike can take around 5 hours. It’s also recommended to bring some snacks to keep your energy levels up, such as energy bars, nuts, or fruit.
- Headlamp or Flashlight 🔦 As the climb begins in the early hours of the morning, a headlamp or flashlight is essential. These are supplied by the guides we use at the foot of Mt Batur, but if you have a preferred torch then it’s a good idea to bring it. This will help you navigate the trail in the dark and keep you safe.
- Sunscreen and Hat 🧢 Although you’ll be climbing in the early hours of the morning, it’s still important to protect yourself from the sun’s rays. It can warm up pretty quickly on the way down, so sunscreen with a high SPF is suggested and a hat to shield your face from the sun.
- Camera 📸 Don’t forget to bring your camera or smartphone to capture the stunning sunrise and beautiful scenery. You’ll want to document this unforgettable experience to share with friends and family back home.
The above will have you well-prepared for an epic Mount Batur sunrise hike during your fitness retreat. Remember to pack light and only bring what you need to avoid carrying unnecessary weight during the climb.
WHEN TO LEAVE TO CATCH THE MT BATUR SUNRISE
The climb begins in the early hours of the morning, with us collecting you from the hotel around 2am. It takes a couple of hours to get to the foot of the Volcano, so grabbing a pillow for the van is always a good idea. On arrival at the Mt Batur national park, you’ll be met with a local guide for you and three of your teammates. The guides make sure you get up and down safely, and are great for taking pics along the way.
The trail is well-trodden, but challenging, and will take approximately two hours to reach the summit. Along the way, you can expect to encounter playful monkeys that often approach hikers looking for food, especially on the way back down, so be sure to keep your belongings close.
As you ascend higher, the terrain becomes steeper and more challenging, but the breathtaking views are worth the effort.
THE VIEW FROM THE SUMMIT OF MOUNT BATUR
The summit of Mount Batur offers guests a chance to witness the sunrise over the stunning landscape of West Bali, and beyond to Java. Watching the sun slowly rise over the mountains and Lake Batur is a truly unforgettable experience that you’ll cherish for years to come.
After enjoying the sunrise, we’ll can explore the summit and take in the incredible views of the surrounding area. This is a perfect opportunity to relax and recharge while having a Bali Coffee and a well earned snack.
As part of a 1 week fitness camp, climbing Mount Batur at sunrise is a challenging and rewarding workout, as the steep climb is an excellent opportunity to push yourself physically while taking in the stunning scenery around you.
Typically we’re back at the vans around 9am, and then back in Canggu before lunch. Given the 2am early start, the rest of the day is normally assigned to recovery – either at Wanderlust Recovery Zone with its ice baths, jacuzzi and sauna, or you can chill at the hotel pool and maybe get a massage.